We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Getting pregnant with twins or twins in a multiple pregnancy is a special event because the chances are slim. Only 1 or 2 out of 100 pregnancies are multiples, and getting pregnant with two or more babies depends on several factors. Chance is one of those variables, but the use of fertility techniques, genetics and the mother's age are the main factors.
However, the probabilities increase for a woman with a history of multiple pregnancies in her family, since this female predisposition is hereditary, and in this line, if the woman has already had several pregnancies before and, especially, if any of them it was also multiple increases the chances of having twins or twins again.
Getting pregnant at an advanced age to become a mother, especially after thirty and more specifically after thirty-five years, increases the possibility of a double pregnancy. Black women are more likely to have twins or twins. Currently, multiple pregnancies of triplets and quadruplets are reserved for the old fertility treatments, since now with the new technical advances in current fertility treatments, this possibility has been considerably reduced.
However, it is important to note that a multiple pregnancy is a high-risk pregnancy, which implies greater care and more strict and periodic prenatal controls. Furthermore, there is a higher probability of complications in these twin or twin pregnancies than in singleton pregnancies, including: premature delivery and cesarean section, anemia, pregnancy-induced hypertension, birth defects and postpartum hemorrhages.
1. The mother's age and fertility treatments. Approximately 30 percent of pregnant women who attend a fertility clinic are 40 years of age or older, and at this age, a twin pregnancy has added risks. In approximately 80 percent of the cases of multiple pregnancies in elderly mothers, everything is resolved. Statistics show that women who become pregnant for the first time after age 30 have a higher chance of multiple pregnancies, although the cause is still unknown.
2. Race. Caucasian women, especially those over the age of 35, have the highest rate of multiple pregnancies of more than two fetuses (triplets or more). However, African American women are more likely to have twins than any other race. Asian and Native American women have the lowest rates of multiple pregnancies.
3. Hereditary and genetic factors. The tendency to multiple pregnancies are transmitted only through the mother, so that only the history of multiple pregnancies by the woman's family is what counts.
4. High parity. Having one or more previous pregnancies, especially a multiple pregnancy, increases the likelihood of having a multiple pregnancy.
5. Drugs. Ovulation-inducing hormone treatments, which are done at fertility clinics, increase the risks of multiple pregnancy. Getting pregnant just one month after stopping anovulatory oral contraceptive increases the risks of multiple pregnancy.
Marisol New. Copywriter
You can read more articles similar to Getting pregnant with twins or twins, in the category of multiple pregnancies on site.