We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
In the first months of life, the baby is not yet able to relate the emotions he experiences and what they may mean. The baby is totally dependent on his mother to feel understood and cared for in his basic needs.
When the baby is upset or experiences some tension, it is his mother who identifies the origin of his discomfort and offers him the necessary relief to regain his balance. The constant repetition of these experiences is what enables the development of the baby's ability to think.
This situation is difficult when the baby has a partial or total disorder in his hearing system. When he cries, the baby will not be able to calm down because he will not be able to hear the voice of encouragement from his mother. In this phase it is very difficult to detect a hearing impairment.
The Spanish Association of Primary Care Pediatrics (AEPap) wants to highlight the importance of carrying out a neonatal screening test on every newborn for the early detection of congenital hearing loss. It is done in the newborn through a simple test that does not cause any discomfort. It should be done while the baby is calm or sleeping. The usual thing is to do the test between 12 and 48 hours of life, before leaving the maternity ward. In any case, it must be done in the first month of life.
According to some specialists, deafness is easily detected after 2 or 3 years. When it comes to a child, hearing difficulties become more apparent. The child may not answer his parents' calls, he will ask that the volume of the television or the stereo be turned up, and this hearing difficulty will also influence his work at school and, in general, his behavior. He will be more reserved because he will feel insecure.
There are some signs and situations in which parents may be suspicious when something is not going so well with their child's hearing.
1. When a newborn baby does not startle or wake up to any noise in the environment.
2. When babies and children make a lot of noise during games.
3. When a baby, older than 3 months, does not turn when called.
4. When a baby of about 1 year does not start in the language.
5. When a child, in his first year of life, does not babble or turn or respond to sounds and calls normal in a family.
6. When a 2-year-old does not yet say "papa" or "mama".
7. When a child, at 2 years of age, only attends to simple and basic commands, without looking at who is speaking.
8. When a 3-year-old does not say words, but makes noises that are not understood.
9. When a child, at 3 years of age, is unable to repeat phrases of more than two words.
10. When a child, at 4 years of age, does not know how to spontaneously tell us what happens.
11. When a child, at 5 years of age, still talks like a baby.
12. When a child is too passive and does not bother.
13. When a child mispronounces the letters: R, S, D, L, J, and T.
14. When the baby is too quiet.
15. When the baby is not upset by unexpected noises.
You can read more articles similar to Deaf baby or child, in the Health on site category.